6 STEPS TO BUILDING A GREAT MARKETING STRATEGY
Most marketing strategies fail due to lack of planning, leadership support, and/or appropriate staffing.
A successful marketing strategy includes clear business requirements, team building, consensus gathering, defined roles and responsibilities, transparency, and communication.
heyMATTER's simple, 6-step process for building tangible marketing strategy that delivers business results. Contact heyMATTER to build your next successful marketing strategy.
WHAT IS A GREAT MARKETING STRATEGY?
A great marketing strategy is a tangible, collaborative, and comprehensive marketing plan on which your company's marketing and sales leadership will build discrete, targeted marketing campaigns, events, and promotions to drive your company's specific, time-bound revenue targets.
A great marketing strategy will provide shared direction, transparency, and accountability for where, when, and how you will invest in your company's growth.
HOW DO WE BUILD A GREAT MARKETING STRATEGY?
Building or improving a company's marketing strategy is a straightforward, transparent, and collaborative effort. A successful marketing strategy is comprised of:
Clear business requirements
Defined roles and responsibilities
And all of this is wrapped in a collaborative, inclusive approach to communication, decision making, and accountability.
With over 17 years of helping businesses develop winning marketing strategies, heyMATTER knows what works, why it works, and how to build what works. There's no magic. And this isn't theoretical physics or the multiverse.
Below we outline why most marketing strategies fail (which will probably sound familiar), and, more importantly, how heyMATTER ensures your strategy succeeds through a simple, 6-step process for building great marketing strategies.
WHY MOST MARKETING STRATEGIES
There was NO ACTUAL MARKETING AGENCY. Either because you thought you didn't need one, or because you were so focused on getting to the sales outcome that the strategy was just a formality to push through and check the box.
There was NO SENIOR LEADERSHIP SUPPORT of the marketing strategy. Typically an issue in larger organizations, Marketing develops a strategy not fully-aligned to the other stakeholders, resulting in a lack of buy-in and support.
There were great strategy meetings and brainstorming, but NO TORCHBEARER. Meaning everything was dependent on one poor soul to take excited notes, disparate ideas, and ephemeral strategy and turn it into hard-hitting sales impact.
WHY YOUR MARKETING STRATEGY WILL SUCEED IN
1. heyMATTER begins every marketing strategy project by establishing (or clarifying) CLEAR BUSINESS REQUIREMENTS. Whether driving specific product adoption over the next quarter, or creating lead capture at your next tradeshow, your strategy is built with the end in mind. All decisions are tied directly to your desired outcomes.
2. With clear business goals established, heyMATTER leads clients through a simple TEAM BUILDING process. This is not trust falls and bowling. Depending on your business goals, this may mean simple identification of who owns what in the marketing strategy, or as in-depth as building cross-departmental project committees.
3. If there are more than two stakeholders at the table, heyMATTER guides
CONSENSUS GATHERING. The outcome of this effort is not full agreement from all stakeholders, rather consensus on the path forward with the marketing strategy. This is imperative where Sales and Marketing are traditionally managed as siloed organizations.
4. Without clear ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES for every department and team member contributing to your marketing strategy, it will go down as another nagging, forgettable cost of doing business. heyMATTER works with your team to help define and clarify roles and responsibilities, as well as expectations, for each contributor/owner.
5. heyMATTER ensures that TRANSPARENCY is built into every aspect of your marketing strategy. From initial goals, to roles and responsibilities, we develop, maintain, and communicate the documentation that guides your strategy and your team. This commitment to transparency creates and reinforces shared ownership of your success.
6. heyMATTER believes in strong, clear, and open COMMUNICATION above all else. However, what is simplest is sometimes the most difficult. Frequent, concise communication is the magic key to your marketing strategy success. We create the channels and expectations for healthy, proactive communication, i.e., your success.
CAN YOU HELP OUR MARKETING STRATEGY RIGHT NOW?
heyMATTER can help you with your marketing strategy regardless of where you are in the process.
Up and running, but not sure what you are aiming for? Let's get you pointed at the right target.
Coming off a year of stellar sales and want to ensure your new annual strategy stays the course? Let's start building on what you've learned.
Trying to hit the market with a new company, product, or service? Let's build your roadmap for success.
Large or small, established or start-up, heyMATTER can help your business crush its marketing strategy. If you are ready, click Start a Project, and we will get together soon.
Not quite ready to start a marketing strategy project?
Not to worry. Let's talk about your needs.
WHAT ELSE CAN WE HELP WITH?
Does your marketing strategy fail to deliver the business results you need?
Do your marketing campaigns create the customer engagement and sales growth you need?
Are your marketing projects on time, on budget, and exceeding expectations?
Does your marketing empower your sales team to close more deals?
Is your marketing team organized for efficiency, value creation, and productivity?
Are your marketing proposals winning you new clients or internal budgets?
Do your clients or stakeholders feel like they are an integral part of the marketing process?
Do your marketing processes drive your profitability and visibility?